Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Seeing the Face of Christ in Holy Week--Thursday, April 5

 John 6:35-40
35Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 36But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; 38for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. 39And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day."

It is my honor, and pleasure to write this blog on this Maundy Thursday. 2012. Let us prepare for Sunday’s Victory Feast.

It’s all in the preparation, you know…Prepare ye the way of the Lord!
Jesus tells us “I am the Bread of Life. It is my Father who gives you the true bread from Heaven.”

It seems to be a wonderful sort of mystery the way a simple loaf of bread is made. It begins with the dry and wet ingredients being mixed together to form a dough. It is then kneaded, and carefully formed into the shape it will be in upon completion. We must wait for the dough to rise before placing it into the oven at just the right temperature, in order for it to bake into an edible loaf of bread. As the bread bakes, an irresistible fragrance begins to permeate throughout the house. Now, close both your eyes and your mouth at the same time, and breathe in slowly…it will force you to smile. Can you smell Him penetrating through your entire being? I bet you want more. I bet you even want more to the point that you need Him…that you just can’t live without Him! That’s what Jesus does for us. He seeps into our entire being, and infects us with the desire to taste His heavenly bounty both now, and for all eternity. “This is my body, given for you.”

He’s inviting us to the table. C’mon, it’s time to eat as much as you want. You’ll never go away hungry. There’s endless amount of Him for ALL who believe that He is our Lord and Savior…our bread that keeps us nourished.

He will accompany this feast with His blood, a rich, red bouquet fortified with ALL that is needed to wash away sin. “This is my blood, shed for you.” “Remember me ALWAYS when you eat my body, and drink my blood.”

Bon-appe`tit! Thanks be to God!

Louise Greenleaf

For reflection:
What does the phrase, “Jesus is the bread of life” mean to you?
What are your thoughts as you approach the communion table?
What does Holy Communion have to do with the way you live each day?  

2 comments: